Friday, May 31, 2013

Big Girl Job

     Coming into this internship I really had no idea what I was getting into with the internship and being an Agriculture Communication major.I started out in college majoring in Animal Science because I really didn't know what I wanted to do. After coming down to Columbus I added on Agriculture Education, which I thought was what I was meant to do. But after finding out that standards were changing in that area I realized that I wasn't meant to be a teacher, that God had something else in mind for me. Unfortunately I was back to square one, not knowing what I wanted to do in life. I added on Agriculture Communication because I really just needed to figure out what I wanted to do, apparently I picked the right major. I've realized that Ag Comm is similar to Ag Ed but I can do more and reach out to more people. The only downside is that I really didn't understand the Ag Comm major. I could read and reread the description of an Agriculture Communication major but I would still have questions.
     I also wasn't really sure of what I was actually going to do during my internship. Of course during the interview process, for my internship, I was told some of the tasks that I would have to help with. But this week really showed me that it's not just Ohio Proud and Ag is Cool.
     During my first couple weeks with Ohio Proud I had to help get applications around for the 2013 Specialty Crop Block Grant. It was a boring and long process because I had to make so many copies of each application for all of the people on the review committee. The part I didn't know was that I would be seeing this through to the end. This week I got to sit in on the review committee meeting and hear from each applicant. I also sat in on the review process and got to hear the good and the bad of each project. I honestly had no idea what goes into trying to get a grant. This whole process has shown me even more about how things in the "real world" works.
      While working with Ohio Proud I have realized that there is so much I can do in this field. Now I just have to narrow the list down. But that is part of the process and gets me one step closer to finding my "big girl " job :)

No comments:

Post a Comment